The skin around our eyes is very delicate and is prone to wrinkling and damage. It needs proper care to ward off signs of aging and also to keep it healthy and bright.
We have to be careful as to what we apply under our eyes. The skin under our eyes is very thin that whatever is applied under the eye area (makeup or any eye care product) gets easily absorbed under the skin. So it is best to go for a natural eye make up, natural under-eye gel/cream free of petro-chemicals and harmful preservatives. Eye gel or cream that contains soothing botanicals will moisturize your skin, replenish lost hydration and cut down on any puffiness or irritation.
I came across few branded eye creams/ gels that contains some natural botanicals. In addition to some natural ingredients, it had preservatives like Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Denatonium Benzoate etc. I am not comfortable in using eye gels with harmful chemicals and preservatives as whatever goes under our eyes gets abosorbed quickly. Also we dont want to pay about $20.00 for 15ml eye gel only to contain harmful preservatives.
So, I thought " Let me make an eye gel-cream at home that is natural yet effective as any other commercialy available eye gel in the market". The first ingredient that came to my mind was our garden grown aloe vera. Aloe vera gel that comes from the aloe plant soothes irritated and sensitive skin under our eyes. To that I added almond paste made with rose water and few pinches of saffron. Almond paste moisturize the delicate skin and removes fine wrinkles under our eyes with regular use. Rose water cools the eyes naturally and saffron lightens the skin area under the eyes.
Here is the recipe for the exotic eye gel-cream that can be used daily on the skin area under the eyes . Take a small amount of this Eye gel-cream with a clean spoon and dab the gel-cream under the eyes gently. Follow this routine before going to bed and wash the paste off with warm water after you wake up to give your eyes a naturally fresh and rejuvenated look.
Make it in small batches and store it in a refreigrator as it is made without preservatives. I store my eye gel-cream in a 10 g glass jar.
Ingredients you need:
* Pure Aloe vera gel - 2 tbsp (mash it well beforehand to have thinner and even consistency)
* Almond paste from 4 raw almonds soaked in hot water for few hours (soaking it in hot water will help in removing the outer skin)
* Rose water to grind the almonds to a paste
* Few pinches of saffron strings
* A cup and spoon to mix
* A small glass jar with a lid
How to make it:
1. In a small cup add Aloe vera gel (pre-mashed up with a clean and dry fork) and almond paste made with four raw almonds.
2. To make almond paste - I made almond paste by grinding almond on a small stone slab with rose water.
3. Mix the aloe vera gel and almond paste together until they blend well without coming apart.
4. To the blend, add pinces of saffron strings and mix it well till the saffron releases its beautiful colour and aroma.
5. Store this exotic eye gel-cream in a glass jar, tightly closed wit lid. Put it in the fridge for regular use.
Hope you enjoy making this eye gel-cream at home as the ingredients to make this can be found in your kitchen pantry and in your garden (or your neighbour's garden).
Also feel free to write your comments and feedback.
Until then, bye from PetalDew - From Nature with Love.